I’m here today with a new recipe for you!
If you follow me on Snapchat (@fitnessandfeta), you got a sneak peek the other night into some recipe creating that Tim and I were doing for the Super Bowl on Sunday. Let’s be honest, I always care more about Super Bowl food than I do the Super Bowl itself. Who else is with me here? We actually aren’t even sure what our plans will be for watching the game this year, but either way I wanted to come up with a fun game time recipe for those of you who do have plans and are looking for something fun to make.
My goal was to create an F&F version of a party favorite, and we decided we wanted to recreate the traditional jalapeno popper! Here’s the recipe:
Spicy Sausage and Quinoa Stuffed Jalapenos
Makes one dozen stuffed jalapenos
- 6 jalapeno peppers
- 1 hot chicken sausage
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To cook the quinoa, combine 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Remove the chicken sausage out of its casing. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat, then place the sausage in the pan and cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the quinoa and sausage are prepared, mix them in a large bowl with the plain Greek yogurt, paprika, shredded cheddar cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Prepare the jalapeno peppers by slicing them in half lengthwise, tearing out the rips, and removing the seeds.
- Stuff the peppers with the quinoa and sausage filling, and top with additional cheese if desired.
- Cook for twenty minutes, and enjoy!
If you end up making these, let me know how they come out!