These double chocolate beauties have made a few appearances in our kitchen over the past month.
They’ve also sparked quite the debate about what differentiates between a muffin and a cupcake. While the obvious answer might be the frosting, I think the actual difference has more to do with the way you combine some of the ingredients together first versus mixing everything all together. What do you guys think?
Whether you call these muffins or an unfrosted cupcake doesn’t matter so much to me because either way I hope you’ll give them a go!
Grain Free Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Makes a dozen muffins
- 2 large and ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Chia seeds
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl, then stir in the eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the almond meal, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and stir until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray muffin cups with coconut oil spray or grease with coconut oil, then fill three quarters of the way with the muffin batter.
- Sprinkle chia seeds on top of each muffin, then bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
If you are someone who gets a sweet tooth around the same time of day every day, these muffins might be up your alley. They provide a nutritious option while still allowing you to give into a chocolate craving. The muffins are moist and have a cake like texture, hence the whole cupcake debate. I really like that the chocolate chips add an extra chunk of chocolate in each bite, and the chia seeds sprinkled on top add an extra dose of both fiber and antioxidants.
If you make these, post a pic and tag me @fitnessandfeta. I’d love to see and hear how they come out!
Readers, let’s chat! In your opinion, what’s the difference between a cupcake and a muffin? Do you have sweet cravings? What kind of muffins are your favorite?
For more F&F muffin recipes, check out: