You know what the most awkward part of writing blog posts is? The opening.
Starting my blog posts off with a greeting just seems like the most obvious choice. I like to acknowledge you because I really do appreciate you taking the time to read what I have to say every day. But sometimes I snort out loud because I think blog post openings are awkward, and well, that’s how I react to awkward things. With dainty, lady-like snorts. Sometimes I just dive right into the topic at hand, but then I’m all like, wait, I forgot to say hi.
I have a lot of recipes hoarded in my “need to post’ folder. Like, recipes I made over the holidays kind of recipes. So today you get a belated holiday appetizer, eggplant ricotta bites. Tim and I made these together for my work holiday party at Julia’s house the Friday night after Christmas.
Eggplant Ricotta Bites
Adapted from The Food Network, serves 6. We doubled to make two plates to bring to the party.
- 1 medium graffiti eggplant
- Wheat flour, for coating
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- A few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 2 large plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Shredded fresh basil, for topping
- Salt, to taste
- Thinly slice the eggplant into rounds, and season with salt.
- Pour some flour into a shallow dish.
- Beat the eggs in another dish.
- In a third dish, mix the oats and Parmesan.
- Dredge the eggplant in the flour, then dip in the eggs and coat with the oat mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, cook the eggplant slices until golden, about 2 minutes per side, adding more oil between batches, if necessary. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.
- Toss the tomatoes with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil and the vinegar in a bowl.
- Spoon some ricotta onto each eggplant slice.
- Top with the tomato mixture and basil.
- Serve and enjoy!
(I think) that they were a hit, which I was relieved about because making these was a last-minute decision and involved quite the rushed team approach at 5pm before heading out. I didn’t do any picture taking that night, but a big thank you to Julia once again for hosting our group at her beautiful house!
I’m off to the gym for my favorite night of the week (Two A Day Tuesday). It’s only Tuesday, and I already feel like it’s been a long week, so I’m looking forward to being in my happy place. I’ll catch you guys later!
Shoot. Saying bye is awk too.