Some deliciousness for you tonight!
On our way home from NYC, Slesh told me that Will was making chili for their Sunday night dinner. Since then, I’ve been craving chili big time, but I wanted to make a decently healthy (but still hearty) version since I’m trying to nutrition wise this week. I took a look through my bookmarked recipes, and I realized that I still had from saved, for seven healthy soup/chili recipes. The last recipe for turkey, barley, and veggie chili sounded perfect to satisfy my craving without being too bad for me.
Turkey, Barley, and Veggie Chili
inspired by fANNEtastic food, makes 10 servings
- 1 container (32 oz.) low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup barley (not quick cooking)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound of lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato or jarred pasta sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Chili powder (adapt for your own spice tolerance)
- Cumin (adapt for your own spice tolerance)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Add barley and vegetable broth in a large pot. Bring to a boil, let simmer (covered) until cooked (about 30 minutes).
- While barley is cooking, chop all your veggies and prepare the sauce, beans, spices, etc. Set aside.
- Add olive oil, ground turkey, garlic, and onion into a medium-sized pan. Saute over medium high heat until turkey is fully cooked.
- Once barley is cooked (a lot of the liquid will have boiled off), add all the other ingredients, including the cooked turkey, to the pot.
- Stir and serve hot.
The recipe didn’t disappoint! It lived up to my craving, and was a great post Two A Day Tuesday meal last night. And made for a great leftover lunch today too. I’m definitely adding this chili to the repertoire of warm winter recipes!
The protein in the turkey kept me full, and I was happy knowing I was getting a good portion of fiber from the barley and beans, and nutrients from all the veggies in there. Yum!
What’s your favorite warm winter recipe?
Don’t forget to enter to win a box of 16 healthy bars from Larabar! Click on over to to enter for your chance to win.